Go Beyond / Article
Beyond Ambassador - Liza Koshy
February 11, 2020
A force of nature, Liza Koshy has rapidly made her mark as a multi-dimensional talent. Actress. Comedian. Singer. Dancer. TV host. Even as she wears more than one hat effortlessly she is willing to show her vulnerability, sharing her biggest fears and how she pushed through them on her way from Vine star to entertainment impresario. From the beginning, Koshy took each video, comedy bit, and impression to the next level. Now, she's going Beyond Youtube, taking on more elevated roles.
What does Go Beyond mean to you?
Go Beyond means going beyond the expectation that others might set for you, but mainly the expectation you set for yourself. Showing up and showing out and giving not a hundred and ten percent but two hundred, three hundred, four hundred percent...as much as you can do to perform your very best...that’s what Go Beyond means to me.
You started on Vine, which was short six-second skits. When did you start to realize you could do more than that?
My career all started with the camera on my phone, and I realized I could do more when I just kept talking and was good at it. I then picked up an even bigger camera and started recording. My very first YouTube video was twelve minutes long! I could not stop. I’d been held down by the six seconds for too long and had too much to say. I had so much fun recording and then I started creating characters, writing skits and sketches, collaborating, and integrating different ideas and messages into my videos. It’s amazing to reflect on your own growth.
What is your creative process like?
I’m in love with the entire creative process – coming up with the idea, writing out multiple versions and then seaming it all together to create one storyline, one video, one tv series or one movie someday, fingers crossed. I’ve had so much fun being a part of different projects but also have the utmost gratitude. I’m so fortunate to make projects of my own now.
Did you have a sense of what you wanted to do and where you wanted to go?
It all started because I was bored, and I wanted to be heard and have my stories told in my own way. As the youngest of three kids, my two older siblings played with each other, so I created characters. Then as a bored high schooler, I filled the time by picking up my phone and making fun videos with my friends. At the time, social media was just your small circle of friends. But as social media evolved, my circled continued to grow and now I have friends across the world.
I realized that a story like mine has not really been shared before. Being from a mixed background and growing up not between two ferns but two cultures, being Indian and White, was a story I hadn’t seen – but one I knew was relatable.
What drew you to plant-based foods?
What I love most is the effect that it has, or the effect it does not have, on the environment. I so appreciate that it takes less water and greenhouse gas emissions to produce. It’s the future of protein in the sense that it positively affects the future of everyone. By making the choice today to eat plant-based helps future lives of tomorrow.
LIZA'S BEYOND TACOS & PICO
1 lb. Beyond Beef®
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp smoked paprika
½ tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
Dash of cayenne (optional)
1 pint cherry tomatoes
1 avocado, cut into cubes
½ sweet onion, diced
¼ cup cilantro
1 juiced lime
1. In a small bowl combine cumin, paprika, garlic powder, chili powder, salt, black pepper and cayenne (optional). Set aside.
2. Heat a skillet over medium heat. Add Beyond Beef and crumble with a spatula.
3. Add seasoning mixture to Beyond Beef and mix well, continuing to crumble. Add a spoonful of tomato paste and splash of water. Continue to stir and crumble until Beyond Beef is browned.
4. Make a quick pico de gallo: slice tomatoes in half. Gently toss tomatoes, avocado, onion, cilantro and lime together in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper to your liking.
5. Heat tortillas. I like to put them directly on top of my stovetop burners to warm them up and get a quick char. Just be sure to watch them and flip the tortillas so they don’t completely burn.
6. Serve the Beyond Beef mixture in tortillas and add toppings of your liking. I like a bit of shredded lettuce with my quick pico.